I was reading Fred on Everything (he is interesting – an ex-cop with a jaundiced view of some of them, an expatriate living in Mexico, who contradicts many of the stereotypes about Mexicans, etc.), and he posted on a hot topic – police presence in Black neighborhoods. His take is – refreshing.
Another column of his that is worth reading is his analysis of how America is already in the dumps – BEFORE Trump. We’ve already been taken over by special interests, and no longer live in a democracy (or republic).
If, like me, you want to return to a time of more freedom, pre-Federal-government-runs-everything, we might want to start planning how to take the Feds down – NOT with warfare, but with resistance, tactical refusal to give them our money, and state-by-state resistance. I’m NOT talking revolution – that’s a dead idea. Instead, let’s work incrementally, to chip away at Leftist strongholds.
Some starting points:
- Stop sending them money. Find work that can be done under-the-table. No taxes, no Social Security. That last part would be difficult, but COULD be made up by the local authorities, who could collect at that level what is needed by people with no other resources. The fact is, most people have other resources (and, when they don’t have to pay Federal taxes, they have more). Stick your extra money under the mattress – you don’t want to leave it in banks, where it is vulnerable to being confiscated.
- Refuse to give ONE penny to any college for worthless degrees. Tell your kids – “I’ll pay for you to get a trade”. That’s likely to be the best thing you’ll ever do for that kid – it’s a way of earning a living that is less likely to be outsourced.
- Maine is one of the states that reduced its welfare rolls by insisting on able-bodied people actually looking for work, enrolling in job programs, or working at part-time unpaid activities. Surprise, surprise, as Gomer Pyle would say – almost all said, “Not worth it”, and dropped off the rolls. Other states could do this.
- Return the Federal lands to the people. In several states, this could be a new Settlement Rush. If there are FEMA-type trailers stored in the state, let them be re-purposed (NO complaints about their condition – the receivers fix them up themselves, and Caveat Emptor).
- Take back the schools – clear out much of the administration, turn them over to local organizations, who are responsible for finding the funding. Except in the poorest sections of town, schools should be fully funded by the LOCAL neighborhood. Yes, I’m talking breaking up the big city schools. With the administration gone, costs should drop, while STILL allowing the teachers to get paid reasonably. Replace the assistant principals with recently retired military – the AP’s are mostly used for muscle to control the students, so let’s get in people who know how to keep people in line. Actually TEACH reading – anyone who cannot read at grade level should spend 1/2 their day in disciplined phonics-based reading programs – reading content-rich practical text, or NON-dystopian literature. Anyone who cannot do math at grade level should be spending the class time on old-fashioned programs, like Saxon Math. What little time remains should be spend on civics education that actually teaches about the Constitution and other foundational documents and principles, and practical science.
This is a link to a VERY pessimistic column. I’m not so sure they are right – while the young seem to embrace the Socialist Revolution, at this point, it’s theoretical, and their “enlightened” attitudes don’t cost them. Once the impact of the price exacted comes home, I doubt they will continue their “yeah, let’s spread money around” thinking.
One MAJOR reason that the country has changed is that there are a whole lot of women who are supported by government, whether directly, with welfare or government employment, or indirectly, in nonprofits and niches like Human Resources, which are required to be so bloated because of governmental regulations. Take away the regs, and many women in these staff positions will find themselves on the street. At that point, they MAY come to their senses. Either way, citizens will no longer be funding their hectoring.
I’m thinking divide & conquer:
- Use legal means to reduce government. Fewer regulations, liberation of federal lands (with encouragement to settle on them, we might reduce the numbers in the cities), reduction of administrative bloat in government.
- Write GOOD curriculum for all ages, to explain what good government looks like, and what limitations on the federal government already exist. Offer it, free, to schools, along with e-books telling stories that reinforce those ideas.
Lastly, here is a link to someone who, like me, supported Cruz. Now, she has to decide which candidate will do the LEAST damage to the USA.
I’ve been getting rosy economic stories from Liberal/Progressive friends. Apparently, thinking that Obama’s disastrous economic policies have created a hollowed-out economy is blatant racism.
Of course, there is this, and this. BTW, that last stat? Straight from the Labor Dept.
Apparently, no matter how you massage numbers, the damned things just keep adding up to the same conclusion.